Wednesday, December 21, 2011

YEARLY PROGRESS AND THE IMPORTANCE OF A TRAINING LOG

I said I wouldn't post again until after the New Year, but I've got some time at lunch to start a post, and I'll finish it later.  I want to touch on something that I think is very important for all athletes (weightlifting or not; but what athlete is not lifting? Probably a bad one).  That thing is keeping a training log.

Many high school, college and professional athletes probably don't keep their own logs, but their coaches do.  They need to be able to see consistent progress in the gym, on the field, track or wherever.  If they don't see progress, then they need to evaluate the training, and probably more importantly, what the athlete is doing in his/her spare time to hinder progress (boozing it up, overeating, not sleeping enough, etc.).  So, since you are reading this, you likely are not a professional athlete and only have yourself as coach.  Therefore, you need to keep a training log.

What should you track?  Well, if you're lifting weights, keep track of the poundage.  There are different ways to do this.  I usually just write my sets and reps down in my notebook and try to beat either the rep range from the week before or the poundage from the week before.  I usually try to up the reps I do before I increase the weight.  So if I squatted 315 x 3 one week, I may try to do 315x4 the next.  I increase the reps until I hit a certain "ceiling," such as 5 reps.  Then I increase the weight, like so (just an example, my squat training differs from this drastically):

Week 1: 315x3
Week 2: 315x4
Week 3: 315x5
Week 4 (if not taking a week off): 320x3
Week 5: 320x4
I think you get the idea.  I believe this way of progressing is called a double progression (I think? Look it up). Now, if you keep your training log for a year, you can see the progress you are making, and it will give you motivation to keep lifting.  Here are some of my numbers from last December:

Squat: 350x1 (with belt)
Deadlift: 440x1 (with belt)
Bench: 240x1 (ugh)
Overhead Press: 185 (ugh again)

Now looking at my December 2011 numbers, I really need to work on my pressing, because I suck at it, and I have long monkey arms:

Squat: 385x1 (no belt), 415x1 (belt)
Deadlift: 475x3 (no belt), 540x1 (belt)
Bench: 275x1
Press: 225x1 (belt), 205x1 (no belt)

So what am I going to do in 2011?  Lots more upper back work and pressing overhead.  And now I've gotta go.  Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be adults...